Tuesday 15 June 2010

Culturally Unfamiliar

I don't think a day goes by in the United States that I do not use a car, so upon arriving in England and seeing the steering wheel on the right side I was surprised. Even though I knew to expect it, I still find it odd whenever I see cars and drivers on the opposite side.

A cultural difference that's been extremely helpful are the "Look Right" and "Look Left" signs at every street corner.

The Litter cans are culturally significant for two reasons: the word "litter" is different, and there isn't a recycling bin nearby. I've found that recently in the US recycling bins are popping up everywhere, but I have yet to see them on the streets of London.

While not in London, I found that many bagpipers lined the streets of Edinburgh, Scotland. They add a distinct flair, and the United States I don't believe has anything like it.

While bikes and vespas have a place in American culture, I've found them to be much more prominent in Europe. This was one of many streets littered with the pair, and not a car in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment