Tuesday 15 June 2010

Semantically Unfamiliar

Everywhere you turn in the US there are "Exit" signs pointing people in the direction of the nearest door; however, in the UK, "Way Out" is the term commonly used.

Both the use of "dump" instead of "litter" and "rubbish" instead of "trash" are different from the United States. I also found the format of the warning to look extremely unofficial, more like a poster advertising something than informing of a law.

I believe a sign in the US would only say something along the lines of "Ramp Ahead" as opposed to "Shopmobility."

I am aware that the United States has signs that encourage sharing seats with those in need, I found this sign on the Tube to be particularly odd in it's wording.

While we commonly call these "elevators," upon arriving in the UK I've found they are only referred to as "lifts."

No comments:

Post a Comment